Play money is a useful tool for teaching young children about finances and can also be used in a variety of at home games. Instead of purchasing expensive play money from the store, create some yourself at home! These fake bills can be as realistic or as funny as you want -- you are only limited by your own creativity. This fun and easy craft is ideal for children on a rainy day.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Dollar bill
- Construction paper
- Magic markers
- Cut-out pictures
Place a dollar bill flat on top of a piece of construction paper. Trace around the dollar with pencil. Repeat until there are several rectangles on the paper.
Draw an oval in each of the rectangles with markers. Paste an image of a president, celebrity or yourself inside the oval with glue. If you don't have any images cut out, you can draw a figure in the oval.
Write the monetary denomination in the corners of your rectangles with markers. Common denominations are 60p, £3 and £6, though you may want to include higher bills like £13 and £32.
Cut along the pencil lines with a pair of scissors.
Tips and warnings
- Create coins using the steps above as well.
- Try using different coloured paper for different denominations.
- For a quicker method, find printable templates for play money online and just print them from your computer.
- Always supervise children while they use scissors.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for