Cockroaches are often associated with being dirty and bringing filth into your home. While cockroaches themselves are actually clean, they are attracted by open food, crumbs and easy-access water sources in your home. Keeping your home clean and free of open sources of food make all the difference in preventing roaches from taking up residence in your home. If roaches are already present, using vinegar in and around the home helps to get rid of them.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- White vinegar
- Cleaning cloths
- 235 ml (1 cup) catnip leaves
- Spray bottle
Mix 470 ml (2 cups) white vinegar and half a gallon of warm water in a bucket. Wash all hard surfaces in your home, including floors, countertops, appliances and sinks and bathtubs using the vinegar solution. Cleaning your home is the first step toward getting rid of cockroaches.
Pour 470 ml (2 cups) water in a small pot and add 235 ml (1 cup) fresh catnip leaves. Bring the water to a boil, then remove from heat. Allow the catnip to steep in the water for 20 minutes.
Fill a spray bottle with the strained catnip solution and 235 ml (1 cup) white vinegar. Spray the vinegar catnip solution along cockroach entryways, such as along baseboards, windowsills and doorways. Both vinegar and catnip fragrance deter cockroaches as well as many other insects.
Spray outdoor living areas with your homemade roach repellent. Repeatedly apply the spray, inside and outside, every few days for at least four weeks.
Tips and warnings
- Be persistent with roach removal methods. It can take four to six weeks to kill all roaches present, as well as their eggs.
- Use undiluted vinegar to wash really dirty surfaces.
- Pour white vinegar down your drains to clean them and deter roaches from entering and exiting through the drain.
- The presence of cockroaches can cause problems for those who suffer from asthma. Seek the assistance of a professional exterminator if your home remedies are not successful after six weeks.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for