Square hole punches are useful in creating a variety of paper crafts and scrapbooking projects. Used with plain paper or cardstock, square hole punches are a great tool for making perfect square shapes in many different sizes. What you can create with punched-out squares depends on your own imagination, however many common crafts include gift tags, wine glass charms, cupcake toppers, labels and stickers. The punches can be found at most craft and art supply stores such as Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Joann's and a number of online stores.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Square hole punch
- Paper or cardstock
Select the appropriate size punch for the square you would like to make. For example, if you are making gift tags, you might want to use a 2-inch square punch. For wine glass charms, you should use a 1-inch punch.
Cut the paper in three rows lengthwise to get the most squares out of the paper or cardstock. You should now have three rectangular pieces. Align the paper or cardstock with your square punch, and punch out as many squares as the paper will allow. If you are using pre-designed digital sheets purchased online, follow the instructions for punching out those graphics.
Discard or save all the scrap paper and complete your project. If you keep the scraps, you may find them useful for scrapbooking collages or to use them with other crafts. It's extremely cost-effective to reuse what you can.
Tips and warnings
- Determine the size square you will need prior to purchasing a square punch.
- Use a scalloped square punch for a more decorative effect.
- Trim the edges with decorative scissors for a designer look.
- Use cardstock to punch square holes as it's more durable and creates a clean cut.
- Keep your fingers clear of the punch to avoid pinching your fingers.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for