In Western culture, light eyes -- like blue, green or amber -- represent beauty, most likely resulting from their uncommon occurrence. Additionally, light eyes seem to reflect more light, giving a person a sparkling visage. Although you can easily adjust your eye colour with contacts, you may want to try some natural methods for a subtle, yet effective change.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Change your wardrobe: Although this does not work with dark brown eyes, coloured light reflected by clothing onto the iris changes the appearance of blue, green and hazel eyes. Additionally, certain dark colours can make your eyes seem lighter by contrast.
With hazel eyes, wear medium gold, yellow or light green to lighten your eyes.
With blue eyes, wear light blues for reflection, or dark chocolates, oranges and blues in darker shades for contrast.
With dark green eyes, wear light yellows for reflection, or deep greens for contrast.
Eat less turkey. The tryptophan in turkey converts into serotonin, which dilates the pupils. When your pupils dilate, the coloured irises constrict, causing your eye colour to darken. Other foods that increase your serotonin production include buckwheat, bananas, eggs, beef, chocolate and seafood.
Additionally, you can decrease your body's production of norepenephrine by training your mind to not ponder visual ambiguities, such as puzzles.
Reducing your serotonin levels comes with a price, leading to many psychological and physical problems, such as fatigue, the inability to focus, moodiness and a lack of willpower. The slight colour change granted by changes in norepenephrine and serotonin do not outweigh the negative effects.
Face the light, literally. You can naturally constrict your pupil and lighten your iris by often facing light during conversation. This leads to the appearance of a lighter eye colour in hazel, green or blue eyes.
Wait. Age comprises one of the largest factors in eye colour changes, with a person's eyes lightening as he grows older.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for
- NY Times: Eye Color Can Be Affected By Clothing
- Glasses Crafter: 8 Ways to Make Your Eye Color Pop
- All About Vision: Eye Color
- Muscle-Health-Fitness: Ten Delicious Bodybuilding Foods That Increase Serotonin Levels!
- The Facts About Fitness: Food and Your Mood
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America: Pupil dilation reflects perceptual selection and predicts subsequent stability in perceptual rivalry