The BMW E36 is the 3 series BMW available through most of the 1990s and as such you can usually find one for a good price. One upgrade for the BMW E36 involves modifying the stereo so you can get a loud bass but maintain accurate reproduction without distortion. The boot is large enough that you can mount a subwoofer in it, although you can also arrange it so that the subwoofer can be removed when you need more boot space.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Subwoofer box
- Speaker wire
- Heavy-duty Velcro
- Wood glue
- Fabric glue
Place your subwoofer box in the boot to make sure it fits. The box can be turned to run along the back seats, along the side of the boot or any other way you would like to mount it. Verify the box fits and remove it from the boot.
Attach the speaker wire to the inside of the terminal cap on the rear of the box. Connect them to the back of the subwoofer and put the subwoofer in its place. Secure it with screws.
Glue strips of Velcro onto the bottom of the subwoofer box with wood glue and put corresponding strips on the carpet in the boot with fabric glue. Put the hooks of the Velcro (the sticky side) on the speaker box and the loops (the soft side) on the carpet in the boot. Otherwise things will stick to the Velcro on the carpet when the subwoofer box is out of the boot.
Attach speaker wire to the amplifier and run it to the location you selected for the speaker. The route for the wire will be determined by the position of the amplifier relative to the subwoofer box. Tease up the edge of the carpet and the plastic trim and run the wire under the edge until it reaches the correct position.
Attach the wire to the terminal cap on the back of the subwoofer box and place the subwoofer box on the Velcro.
Tips and warnings
- Play the subwoofer at a low volume for about 20 hours to break it in for the longest life and the best sound.
- Remove the subwoofer box by detaching the wires from the terminal cap and lifting the box off the Velcro and out.
- Make sure all the glue has fully dried before attempting any hard driving. Otherwise the box could detach and damage something.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for