How to Renew Road Tax at a Post Office

Written by jon stefansson | 13/05/2017
How to Renew Road Tax at a Post Office
Valid road tax is a legal requirement in the United Kingdom. (Jupiterimages/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images)

If you have received a car tax disc reminder form in the United Kingdom, also known as a V11, you can apply for renewed road tax at certain Post Office branches. A valid road tax disc is a legal requirement for driving in the UK; if you are caught without a valid tax disc you face a fine, wheel clamping or crushing of your vehicle. Your car insurance is also invalidated by not displaying a valid tax disc. Renewing your UK road tax at a Post Office will only take a few minutes.

Gather the required documents and payment method. If you do not receive a V11 tax disc reminder in the post you will need to bring your vehicle registration document (V5C) or, if you purchased the car in the last eight weeks, the tear-off portion of the V5C/2 form.

Visit a motor vehicle license issuing Post Office (see Resources for a branch finder).

Pay the appropriate amount of tax for your vehicle (see Resources for a list of prices). The Post Office accepts cheques payable to "Post Office Limited," debit cards, credit cards, cash, Post Office saving stamps, Postal Order and sterling traveller's cheques.

Wait for your new road tax disc to arrive in the post. Display it inside your windscreen as soon as it arrives.

Things you need

  • Car tax disc reminder form (V11)
  • Valid insurance certificate or cover note
  • Valid MOT (if specified on your V11)
  • Valid exemption certificate (if exempt from road tax)
  • Payment method

Show MoreHide

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.