How to declare my car as SORN

Written by colin speakman
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
How to declare my car as SORN
Unused cars must be taxed if you haven't declared a SORN. (Cate Gillon/Getty Images News/Getty Images)

A SORN -- Statutory Off Road Notification -- applies to vehicles while they are in storage or out of action and not used on the road. It's an offence to drive or park an untaxed vehicle on a public road. Even if it's stored in an off-road location, the vehicle must still be taxed unless a SORN has been declared to the government's Driver Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).


    Declare a SORN online

  1. 1

    Log in to the DVLA's online portal from the UK government website (link in Resources) and enter the 16-digit reference number from the V11 reminder form or the 11-digit reference number from the V5 vehicle registration form along with the car's registration number.

  2. 2

    Accept the conditions by clicking "Next."

  3. 3

    Select "Declare a SORN" from the options available.

  4. 4

    Click "Submit" to complete the declaration.

    Delare a SORN in person

  1. 1

    Check the SORN declaration box on the V11 form.

  2. 2

    Find a UK Post Office that issues tax discs. Use the Post Office finder portal to do this.

  3. 3

    Hand in the signed V11 form at the Post Office counter.

    Declare a SORN by post

  1. 1

    Download the Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN)' fom V890 from the DVLA website or pick one up at the Post Office.

  2. 2

    Complete V890 section 1 "Vehicle Details" using the information from the vehicle registration certificate.

  3. 3

    Complete V890 section 2 "Your Details." This must match those of the keeper on the vehicle registration certificate

  4. 4

    Sign the V890 form and post it to the DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AR.

Tips and warnings

  • There's no electronic acknowledgement of a SORN declaration. Written confirmation is sent to the keeper's registered address. A vehicle registration document cannot be used at a Post Office.
  • A SORN cannot be declared if the vehicle has been sold. Although liability insurance is not required once off-road, you should maintain fire and theft coverage.

Don't Miss


  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.