A grass seed head allows children to enjoy creating a craft while they learn how to care for a plant. Homemade grass seed heads sprout grass that looks like hair. To make a grass seed head, fill pantyhose or nylon socks with grass seed and soil to create a round face that children can decorate. The grass seed head should begin to sprout within two weeks if you keep it watered and care for it properly.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Nylon sock or pantyhose
- Sawdust or soil
- Elastic band
Fill the toe of a nylon sock with grass seed. You can also cut the foot off a pair of old pantyhose.
Add sawdust or soil to the sock until it has a ball shape.
Tie the nylon sock closed with an elastic band. You can also tie the nylon into a knot.
Decorate the grass seed head. Glue on wiggly eyes, draw on a face with permanent markers or glue on felt pieces cut out to resemble facial features. Encourage your child to be creative and have fun when making the grass seed head.
Place the grass head on a dish with the grass seed end facing up. Water the grass seed head daily to keep it moist, and place it in a sunny location.
Tips and warnings
- You can also place the grass seed head in a small plastic cup filled halfway with water. Add water to the cup as needed, and wait for the grass seed head to grow.
- Kill any mould that appears on the grass seed head with a solution of 1 teaspoon bleach and 1 gallon of water.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for