Pantone is the name of an advanced system that standardises colour matching. Unique codes are used to identify each colour shade. Colours used in a variety of industries such as digital, fashion, paint and print are referenced by the Pantone colour codes. Manufacturers around the world can perfectly match any colour using the Pantone system. The Pantone Formula Guide prints colours on different paper finishes and explains how to reproduce the colour with ink. Fashion and home or paint and interior Pantone colours are referenced by the TPX code. TPX is an abbreviation for Pantone Textile Paper extended and means the colour reference was printed on paper.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Internet access
Open your Web browser and go to Pantone.com.
Roll your mouse cursor over the help centre link in the navigation bar at the top of the page.
Select "colour cross-reference" from the drop-down menu and click it.
Click the "Pantone Color Guide" link in the "myPANTONE X-Ref" box.
Select "Pantone Fashion+Home Paper" from the list for TPX colours.
Click on the "Color" link in the "myPANTONE X-Ref box".
Select your TPX colour from the list using your colour code.
Click on the "X-Ref Pantone Guide" link.
Select one of the Pantone colour guides from the list to cross-reference.
Note the colour codes in the "X-Ref Color" boxes. Your TPX code and colour will display in the box on the left. The comparable colour and code from the Pantone guide you selected will be in the box on the right.
Tips and warnings
- TPX colours do not have an exact colour conversion to RGB or CMYK.
- The cross-reference tool can be used to find comparable colours between any two Pantone colour guides.
- Enter any colour code in the search box at Pantone.com to view the approximate colour online.
- View printed Pantone colour samples under your preferred lighting conditions for an exact colour representation.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for