Wheel bearings are circular parts located in the hub of a motorcycle wheel. When the bearings are working correctly they allow the wheel to spin freely. This part of the motorcycle is one which is overlooked and requires constant repair to ensure it works correctly. Finding the correct wheel bearings for the Yamaha DT is important. The information can be found in the vehicles manual. If a grinding noise comes from the wheel or the wheel wobbles when it moves, the bearings will need replacing immediately.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Motorcycle stand
- Ratchet wrench set
- Wooden mallet
- Long drift bar
Place the motorbike securely on the stand so that the rear wheel is elevated. Check to see if the wheel spins freely. Ensure that the bike cannot move at all before you begin.
Use the wrench to remove the muffler by loosening the drive clamps and heat shield.
Take off the axle nut with the wrench and use the wooden mallet to tap the axle free from the wheel. Move the axle to a safe place to avoid it being damaged.
Carefully remove the brake disc from the brake caliper and slip the drive belt from its socket. Pull the rear wheel away from the frame and place it on a flat surface to work on.
Gently tap the bearings out from around the wheel using the long drift bar. Ensure that the bearing does not become twisted around the hub. Repeat the process on the opposite side.
Align the bearings where the old ones were. Use the old bearings to softly tap the new bearing in place. Turn the wheel over and fit the second bearing the same way
Reattach the wheel to the Yamaha DT following the removal steps in reverse. Spin the wheel to ensure it moves freely.
Tips and warnings
- When using the mallet to take the axle off the wheel, ensure that you gently tap the wheel as to not cause any considerable damage to the wheel frame.
- Take your time when carrying out the work to ensure the bearings are fitted correctly. Incorrectly aligned bearings which cause irreparable damage to the wheel.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for