Performing pull-ups helps strengthen the upper body by toning biceps, triceps, shoulders and forearms. A pull-up bar is all that is required to add this exercise to your regime. One way to ensure easy access to a pull-up bar is to make your own. Constructing an outdoor pull-up bar is inexpensive, requiring just a few materials and tools.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 1 3- to 4-foot galvanised pipe
- 2 6-inch pipes (threaded)
- 2 elbow pieces
- 2 mounting rounds
- 8 wood screws
- Power drill
Attach an elbow to one end of 6-inch pipe by screwing it onto the threading.
Attach the other elbow to the other 6-inch pipe in the same manner.
Screw the other end of the 6-inch pipe into a mounting round.
Repeat with the other 6-inch pipe and mounting round. You will now have two pipes with a mounting bracket on one end and an elbow on the other end.
Screw the elbow end of one 6-inch pipe onto the 3- to 4-foot pipe.
Screw the elbow end of the other 6-inch pipe onto the other end of the 3- to 4-foot pipe.
Place the bar on a flat surface, mounting rounds down, to ensure it does not wobble. If it does wobble, the mounting rounds are not flush and will need to be screwed on again.
Find a place to mount the bar that can take your weight. Examples might be the side of a house or garage.
Screw one side of the bar to the chosen surface with four wood screws by placing one screw at a time into the holes of the mounting round and using the power drill.
Pull up the end that is not screwed yet, so it is level with the screwed end.
Use the level to make sure the bar is level.
Screw the other end of the bar to the chosen surface with the other four wood screws, by placing one screw at a time into each hole on the mounting round and screwing with the power drill.
Tips and warnings
- You can reinforce elbow joints and mounting rounds by using a strong adhesive in addition to screwing them onto the pipe.
- Mount the bar at a height that will allow you to reach up to the bar and hang with your legs dangling a few inches above the ground. If shorter people want to use the bar, they can use a chair to access it.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for