Opening a Mackie mixer to replace components is not recommended unless you have a significant background in circuit building, as well as analogue and digital technology. Also, opening the mixer may void your user warrant, in some cases. However, there are some basic repairs that most consumers can make that will not void the warranty and save you the expense of hiring a technician.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Cable tester
- Replacement power cables (if necessary)
- Replacement fuses (if necessary)
Unplug your mixer from the wall or surge protector. Remove the power cable from the mixer. Allow the mixer to cool for a few minutes if it has been on for more than an hour.
Inspect both sides of the power cable to make sure there is no damage like bent or burnt contacts or a frayed, worn wire that could cause the mixer to get insufficient power.
Test the ends of the power cable with a cable tester for continuity. The way you do this will vary, based on the type of cable tester you are using. Check your cable tester's instruction manual for proper instructions.
Replace the power cable with a new cable of the same type, if you find it is faulty. If your mixer uses a special cable, contact Mackie for a replacement or the retailer where you made the purchase.
Store your mixer in a safe, dust-free environment until you are able to procure a working cable or can take it in for repairs. Avoid using the mixer if it has intermittent power problems, which can damage internal components.
Tips and warnings
- If your mixer has a large power supply, check the fuses inside or on the back of the mixer for cracks in the filament or burnt contacts. Make sure opening the power supply won't void your particular warranty. In most cases, things like simply changing fuses are easy for users to do and will not void your warranty.
- Always use the same voltage when replacing fuses. Using fuses with a different voltage can cause internal damage or simply not provide enough power for the mixer to work properly.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for