With many devices using SD and MicroSD card technology, there are times when you are required to change the ID of the card for it to remain functional for a particular device or usage. For example this may occur when a cell phone has a software malfunction and is no longer able to recognise the card. Many editions of the Windows operating system have a built-in label utility that allows the alteration of the disk volume, however it does not allow you to change the volume ID. Microsoft TechNet offers a free download called VolumeID. This program allows you to change the IDs of FAT and NTFS disks.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Windows XP and higher OS
- Internet connection
- Memory card reader
Connect your MicroSD card to your computer through a memory card reader or through a compatible device such as a cell phone with a USB connection.
Download the VolumeID v2.0 zip file from Microsoft and unzip the file to your root C:/ drive.
Shut down any application that may be running before continuing, as this may confuse Windows in thinking that the card has been changed, giving you a message indicating you to "Reinsert the original disk."
Click your "Start" menu, and from the pop-up window, select "Run". Type in the "Open" text field "cmd" and press enter, or click "Ok." This will bring up your system's DOS command window.
At the C: prompt type "volumeid <driveletter:> xxxx-xxxx". Replace "driveletter" with the appropriate drive letter where your card is located, and replace xxxx-xxxx with a new id.
Tips and warnings
- The MicroSD ID can be found by typing "driveletter:" Replace driveletter with the driveletter where your card is located. From the new command prompt, type "dir" and the resulting text will give you all of the available information from the card's root drive, including the card ID.
- Before changes on NTFS volume are made visible you will have to reboot your system.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for