Sitting in front of a fire or enjoying the dancing flames with family and friends over good conversation is a great way to pass an evening. Adding some pizazz and colour to the fire with household items will dazzle your guests and make them squeal with delight. Several household items change the colour of a fire from standard orange and yellow to blues, greens and reds.
Place candle wax in a microwave-safe bowl and melt the wax to a runny consistency. You can also use a double boiler on the stove to melt the candle wax.
Mix in one of the following ingredients: table salt, calcium chloride, alum, Epsom salts, water softener salt, borax substitute or copper sulphate. Add enough of your chosen ingredient to equal the amount of candle wax. For example if you have 237 ml (1 cup) of candle wax, add one cup of borax. Crush large pieces of calcium chloride, Epsom salts and water softener salts with a mortar and pestle prior to adding them to the candle wax.
Stir the candle wax and ingredient with a stick.
Lay down a thick layer of newspaper with a sheet of waxed paper on top of the work surface.
Dip pine cones into the flame-changing concoction. Set them onto the waxed paper to dry and harden. You can also mix small bits of wood, broken twigs and saw dust with the candle wax mixture. Form 5 to 7.5 cm (2 to 3 inch) logs or 5 cm (2 inch) diameter balls and set them on waxed paper to dry.
Toss a treated pine cone, fashioned log or ball onto the fireplace to change the colour of the flames.
Table salt creates orange flames. Calcium chloride turns flames blue. Alum changes flames to green. Epsom salts creates a white flame. Water softener salt makes flames purple. Borax substitute turns flames light, bright green. Copper sulphate changes flames green. Wear rubber gloves and eye protection when working with these ingredients. Save old bits and pieces of scented or unscented candles to create colourful flames.