Motorcycle exhaust systems are composed of exhaust pipes, which exit from the combustion chamber and carry gas through the muffler and out into the atmosphere. They are similar to exhaust systems found on cars and trucks. Motorcycle baffles are used on the pipes to deaden sound and maintain back pressure in the system, which helps prevent the release of hydrocarbons into the air. Baffles also maintain the legal status of a bike, so a bike without baffles may fail the inspection sticker process.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Permanent marker
- Drill bit set
- Baffle set
- 1/4-inch self-tapping bolts
Use the baffle to mark the pipe where a hole needs to be drilled. Hold the baffle on the underside of the exhaust pipe with the back end of the baffle along the end of the pipe and flush with the end of the exhaust pipe. Draw a mark on the pipe with the permanent marker where the top portion of the baffle is resting.
Drill a 1/4-inch hole at the mark on the underside of the pipe. Drill a second 3/16-inch hole into the top portion of the baffle. The top portion of the baffle is generally cone-shaped. If needed, use a vice to secure the baffle when drilling into it.
Insert the baffle into the exhaust pipe, making sure that you align the drilled holes in the pipe and the baffle.
Use the self-tapping bolts to secure the baffle to the pipe by inserting them into the hole and tightening them.
Repeat Steps 1 through 4 for each baffle. More baffles will be required, depending on how many exhaust pipes there are.
Tips and warnings
- Drill into the exhaust pipe with caution in order not to lose control of the drill bit. This will help prevent exhaust pipe damage, especially along the pipe’s surface.
- Before installing the baffles, check state and local regulations governing motorcycle emissions and noise because each has separate laws regarding modification.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for