A wooden flower bed, or a raised bed, is a good way to show off plants in your yard, especially if you have trailing plants that can hang over the edge of the wood. A raised bed also allows you to plant flowers earlier in the spring because the soil in the bed warms up faster than the ground. When building your own wooden flower bed, you can make it as fancy or as plain as you want it. However you build it, always use pressure-treated lumber to prolong the life of your wood flower bed.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- 20 feet of 1-by-6-by-6 pressure-treated lumber
- Measuring tape
- Table saw
- Drill with bits
- 3-inch wood screws
Measure two lengths of the pressure-treated lumber to 6 feet and two lengths to 4 feet. Use a saw to cut the pieces to length.
Stand one of the 6-foot lengths on its side. Butt one of the 4-foot lengths up against the end, forming an L shape. Attach the two pieces together using wood screws and a drill fitted with a screwdriver bit.
Repeat the L shape with the two remaining pieces of wood.
Connect the two L shapes together in the same manner to form a rectangular frame.
Dig a 1-inch deep trench in the shape of the box wherever you would like the flower bed to be located. Place the box into the trench. Fill the box with soil, fertiliser and plants.
Tips and warnings
- You can make your wood flower box any size you desire to fit it with your landscaping. Make adjustments to the measurements if necessary.
- To make your wood flower box last a little bit longer, you can either paint or stain it with special outdoor products before putting it in the ground.
- Use railroad or landscaping ties to build your flower bed instead of boards, which will give your flower bed a log cabin appearance. Stagger the ends of the ties, much as children do when playing with log style blocks, to build the box.
- If you have poor soil, you can add a plywood bottom to your box to keep your roots protected. If this is the case, build your box twice as high so that you can add more soil.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for