In just a few minutes, you can turn a 12-pack of beer into a beer cooler. Strong adhesives in cardboard that hold together heavy glass beer bottles create multiple layers of sealant. The seal is strong enough to hold ice, so you can use the cooler for picnics or tailgate parties. The process can be completed with a few simple household tools and careful attention to detail.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Razor blade or box cutter
- 12-pack of bottled beer
- 3 plastic wastebasket bags
- 2 tbsp salt
- Duct tape
- Crushed ice
Cut the top off a new 12-pack box, about an inch from the edges. Set the beer aside.
Open two plastic wastebasket bags and ensure there are no holes in them. Put one inside the other.
Put the box inside the bags and secure it snugly by pulling the sides of the bags up.
Pour crushed ice into the box until it is 1/3 full. Sprinkle the salt over the ice's surface.
Open the third wastebasket bag and ensure it has no holes in it. Sit the opened bag inside of the 12-pack box on top of the crushed ice.
Add eight beers into the box, pressing firmly so the bottles sink a few inches into the ice.
Tape the wastebasket liners to the outside of the box to keep them out of the way.
Pour additional ice into the cooler until the labels of the beer bottles are hidden. Allow 20 to 30 minutes for the beer to cool to 1.67 degrees Celsius.
Replace bottles as beer is removed. Sprinkle more crushed ice onto the new beers when they are added to keep the ice level above the labels at all times.
Tips and warnings
- Wastebasket liners that are found in hotel rooms are the ideal size to make this cooler. This design can be pulled off easily when the hotel cooler is broken, or when you are camping.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for