If you have a garden or fruit trees, you know that birds and other pests can rob you of your harvest. However, if you use garden netting you can save more of your produce. You can buy this plastic netting at nurseries, hardware stores and home improvement centres. Garden netting comes in many types for different purposes. You can also store it for use year after year.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Garden netting
Buy garden netting designed to deter birds.
Keep fruit trees and shrubs pruned to a low height, so you can throw the netting over the top instead of climbing a ladder. You can use a pole to help position the garden netting over the plants.
Fasten the garden netting under the branches with clothespins.
Drive polyvinyl chloride (PVC) wooden stakes into the ground every 3 feet around your garden. The stakes should be about 3 feet high.
String garden netting between the stakes. Drape it slightly over the top of the stakes. The stakes will support it. It should hang down to the ground.
Leave the netting up for as long as you have animals trying to eat your garden plants. If you must leave it up most of the year, you can buy green garden netting to blend in with the landscape.
Deer and Large Animal Netting
Staple shade netting on a trellis or other frame to protect delicate plants from the sun.
Stretch pond netting over a water feature to keep out leaves. This also deters fishing birds. Anchor the netting with metal U-shaped stakes.
Drape fine mesh garden netting over plants to keep insects from devouring leaves, flowers, fruit and vegetables. Anchor the mesh with rocks if the area is windy.
Other Uses for Garden Netting
Tips and warnings
- Remove the garden netting immediately after harvest or after the pests go away. New growth won't have a chance to grow through the netting. Roll it up, and store it for next year.
- You can make garden netting more permanent by building fruit cages or a greenhouse frame and stretching garden netting over it. Make the framework from wood, or PVC pipe and connectors. Staple the netting in place.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for