The power jack of a laptop can become damaged in a number of ways, and it can be a costly fix. There are a few steps that you can take to help prevent further damage until you can get it to a computer technician or muster up enough courage to take apart your laptop yourself. This will help buy you some time, especially if you need to use your laptop in the meantime.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Electrical tape
- DC jack protector
Place the laptop in an area where it will not be bump or disturbed. Put it somewhere that, if you need to use it, it is accessible but out of the way of normal, daily activities.
Move the power supply cord in a position so that the laptop receives power. Hold it in this position.
Tape the power supply to the jack with the electrical tape so that it stays put. Add more tape to make sure the cord does not move. Not only will this ensure that the battery receives a charge, but it will help prevent the cord from moving inside the jack.
Attach the DC jack protector about 6 inches down the power supply cord where it is plugged in at the back of the computer. Plug in the jack protector into the telephone or Ethernet port (whichever applies to your protector). The protector stops the cord from being jerked at the DC power jack. The force will be transferred to the telephone or Ethernet port instead.
Plug the laptop in where the power supply cord will not be pulled or tripped over. Any force on the cord will cause the DC jack to become further damaged, since the jack protector is not fail-safe.
Tips and warnings
- It is best not to use the laptop until the broken power jack can be repaired. Limit using your computer until then, and be very careful when you do use it.
- A broken DC power jack must be replaced. This is something that will not go away and will only get worse. It can damage other internal parts of the computer or cause electrical shock to the body.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for