While the health benefits of spirulina, a blue-green algae, have not been scientifically proven for humans, animal and laboratory studies suggest it may be quite beneficial. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, spirulina may "boost the immune system, help protect against allergic reactions, and have antiviral and anti-cancer properties." Spirulina is available for consumption in both powder and capsule form. It can be added to something as simple as a glass of water or it can be incorporated into a complex pasta dinner. There are a variety of possibilities for making spirulina powder a part of your daily diet.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Section 1:
- Spirulina powder
- Fruit juice
- Fruits of your choice
- Hot or cold cereal
- Olive oil
- Salad ingredients
- Section 2:
- ¼ cucumber
- 1 celery stick
- ½ pineapple (small)
- Spinach leaves (one handful)
- ¼ lime
- 4 apples
- 1 heaping tsp spirulina powder
- ½ avocado (ripe)
- Section 3:
- 2 avocados
- 1 lemon
- 1 lime
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 jalapeño
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 3 tbsp spirulina
- 1 tomato
- Salt and pepper
- Tortilla chips
Mix spirulina powder into a juice or water. Add 1 to 2 tbsp of spirulina powder to an 236ml. glass of water or juice. Use a fruit juice instead of water if you prefer to mask the taste of the spirulina. Mix the spirulina into the liquid thoroughly with a spoon. Continue mixing until all of the powder has dissolved.
Incorporate spirulina powder into a more substantial beverage, such as a smoothie. Add one 1 to 2 tbsp of spirulina to your favourite smoothie. Another thicker beverage to mix spirulina into is V8.
Add 1 to 2 tbsp of spirulina powder to your favourite foods. Mix the powder into yoghurt or put it in soups. Sprinkle it over your cold or hot cereal for breakfast. Add some spirulina powder to pasta, with a little olive oil. Sprinkle it over a salad to kick up the nutritional power of a plate of greens.
Prepare all ingredients. Wash and dry the fruits and vegetables. Chop the cucumber, celery stick, pineapple and apples into chunks that are small enough for the juicer to process. Peel the quartered section of lime. Remove the skins from the pineapple and avocado.
Place the cucumber, celery, pineapple, spinach, lime and apples into the juicer. Juice the ingredients.
Pour the juice into the blender. Add the spirulina powder, avocado and a handful of ice to the blender. Blend for 45 seconds. Pour the juice into a drinking glass and enjoy your healthy spirulina smoothie.
Prepare all ingredients. Wash and dry the fruits and vegetables. Remove the avocado skins. Juice the lemon and the lime. Roughly chop the clove of garlic and the onion. Slice the jalapeño. Remove the seeds from the tomato and chop it.
Place all of the ingredients into a blender, except for the chopped tomato. Blend until all of the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl. Add the tomatoes. Stir the guacamole gently until the tomatoes are evenly distributed into the dip. Add salt and pepper as desired. Enjoy the spirulina guacamole dip with tortilla chips.
Tips and warnings
- Spirulina also comes in convenient capsule and tablet forms. Read the labels on spirulina bottles carefully for dosages.
- Add spirulina to popcorn for a new take on a favourite snack. Create a popcorn seasoning mixture containing one tablespoon of spirulina powder, grated Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and chilli pepper. Sprinkle this seasoning over freshly popped, hot popcorn.
- Juicers and blenders function differently. Don't attempt to juice fruits and vegetables with a blender or you will end up with mush or chunks instead of juice.
- Dietary supplements can potentially cause side effects and interactions with other medications. Consult your doctor before using spirulina as a dietary supplement.
- Purchase only high-quality organic brands to lessen the chance of consuming contaminated spirulina.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for