The Amazon Sales Ranking system is similar to a popularity contest between books, movies and other media. When looking on Amazon.com or Amazon.uk, the items listed first are ones with the highest sales ranking, similar to how Google lists websites based on page rank. Having a higher sales ranking doesn't necessarily guarantee more sales, but it also doesn't hurt. If your book has some form of competition, having yours show up at the top of the list may mean having a customer buy from you instead of your competition.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Promote your work. Tell everyone you know about your book, and ask that they tell their friends and family. This includes outside links on your website, Facebook, Twitter and other social networks. The way Amazon Sales Ranking works is that it goes up after each sale. That's pretty much it. The more sales you have of a particular title, the higher your sales ranking.
Take part in the Amazon discussion boards. This is a great way to get your name around and to generate more sales. You also may learn something in your chosen genre you hadn't known before. There are discussions on every genre, as well as mixed genres like fantasy romance. Stalk these discussion boards to see if you can add something useful to the mix.
Update your tags. Similar to meta tags on a website or keywords written in an online search, adding tags to your work will help readers find it through the Amazon search engine. You can increase your chances even further by asking friends and family to check out your book on Amazon and click on the "Agree with These Tags?" link toward the bottom of the page. You can find your tags listed below your customer reviews. Customers can also add their own tags to the list, associating them with the content of your book. The more tags you generate and the more votes you receive for each tag, the higher your book will be listed during a customer's search.
Comment on items you've purchased. It didn't have to come from Amazon, but the more you comment on other items, the more people will see your name. If they like what you have to say about that particular item, they may click on your name to see what you sell. In this case, they may see an Amazon Author's page or a listing of books you've written.
Tips and warnings
- Amazon keeps its formula on sales ranking pretty secret. The only thing we know for certain is that sales ranking is based on sales. So with that in mind, the best way to increase your ranking is to sell more books by promoting your work in the ways listed above.
- These steps work for anything being sold on Amazon.
- You cannot trick the Amazon Sales Ranking system. Let's say you purchase 100 copies of your book, that would equal 100 sales, wouldn't it? Not really. Each sale that's made on Amazon is only counted once, regardless of how many copies a customer buys. So save your money and only buy as many copies as you need.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for