Formica has been a tabletop choice for decades. Formica is made of laminate that resembles the natural look of wood or stone. Its popularity stems from the fact that it is less expensive than natural surfaces. Formica is durable and can last for many years with proper care. Cleaning and shining a 1950s Formica table back to its original condition can be accomplished with the proper techniques.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Cotton cloth
- Liquid detergent
- Baking soda
- Paper towels
- Window cleaner
- Formica wax
Clean the table with a nonabrasive cotton cloth and a mild liquid detergent. Scrub the table section by section. Rinse with a clean cloth.
Sprinkle some baking soda on a clean damp cloth and gently scrub the surface of the table, paying special attention to stained areas.
Rinse the table with a clean cotton cloth, and dry with paper towels to prevent streaks and water spots from forming.
Remove any remaining streaks after cleaning with a mild window cleaner. Dry with a clean cotton cloth.
Apply Formica wax to the table top. This will rejuvenate the laminate surface to restore its natural shine and beauty. Formica wax can be found at most home improvement stores.
Tips and warnings
- Always clean spills as soon as possible, so they don't leave behind any permanent stains.
- Never use abrasive cloths or scouring pads on Formica because it could scratch and damage the surface.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for