How to Reverse Fallen Arches

Updated April 17, 2017

Fallen arches, also called flat feet, is a condition in which a person has a flattened foot, with no (or virtually no) arch present. The condition can be very painful, or it may cause no symptoms at all. Patients who experience no symptoms associated with flat feet do not need treatment. According to the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, "a painless flatfoot that does not hinder your ability to walk or wear shoes requires no special treatment or orthotic device." However, patients who experience pain and trouble walking may wish to try reversing the fallen arches.

Contact a local physician and request an appointment. Explain that you want to speak to the doctor about fallen arch reversal. Some doctors may immediately refer you to an orthopaedic specialist. If so, arrange an appointment with this specialist.

Ask your doctor about arch inserts. In some cases, foam or rubber inserts inside your shoes can help correct and reverse fallen arches.

Perform any arch exercises that your doctor recommends. These exercises involve different foot movements designed to strengthen the arch and help rebuild it as much as possible. Do not perform any exercises that your doctor does not specifically endorse.

Take medication if you need it. Your doctor may recommend an over-the-counter drug such as an anti- inflammatory medicine, or may prescribe drugs for you. In some cases, foot arch exercises may cause additional pain. The medication may help ease this pain when you are strengthening your arches.


If all other foot arch repair fails, your doctor may recommend surgery. While surgery can be very successful in the repair of fallen arches, you will need a recovery period that varies.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author