Using a Sunbeam electric blanket will cut nighttime heating costs and allow you to sleep contentedly at your own comfort setting. Caring for an electric blanket is slightly different than caring for a regular blanket due to the heating coils. You can wash an electric blanket in an automatic washing machine or by hand in a washtub if you know the way to do it. If you want to wash your Sunbeam-brand electric blanket in a washer, you'll need to take some precautions to ensure the longevity of the blanket.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Automatic clothes washer
- Washtub or bathtub (optional)
- Mild washing powder
Disconnect the power cord from the wall socket, then remove the power cord from the blanket.
Fill the washer tub with enough water to cover the blanket and allow for adequate movement. Add the appropriate amount of washing powder and agitate the water until the detergent is mixed before you add the blanket. Soak the blanket for 15 minutes.
Set the wash cycle to delicate or gentle and wash for two minutes. Allow the washer to complete the cycle. This includes spinning and removing the water from the tub.
Rinse the blanket in lukewarm water and allow the blanket to spin dry at the end of the rinse cycle.
Remove the blanket and gently shape to its original size.
Heat the dryer on low for two minutes before placing the blanket in the dryer. Place the blanket into the dryer and tumble dry for 10 minutes at the low setting.
Remove the blanket while it is still damp and gently stretch to its original size.
Finish drying the blanket by placing it over a clothesline or laying it on a flat surface.
Soak the blanket for 15 minutes in a tub with mild washing powder and lukewarm water. Gently agitate the blanket in a tub with your hands for 4 to 5 minutes or until you determine the blanket is clean.
Remove the blanket from the sudsy water and place the blanket in clean lukewarm water. Gently agitate the blanket until the soap is removed. You may need to change the rinse water to ensure the blanket is free of suds.
Gently squeeze -- do not twist -- the water from the blanket and stretch the blanket to the original size.
Place the blanket over a clothesline or lay on a flat surface to dry.
Hand Wash and Dry
Tips and warnings
- Fill the washer with enough water to cover the blanket and allow for adequate movement of the blanket.
- Follow the instructions for the recommended amount of detergent.
- Do not immerse the control or power cord in water.
- Do not dry-clean the blanket. Dry-cleaning solvents could damage the wires.
- Do not bleach or use a cleaning fluid.
- Do not iron the blanket; ironing will damage the wires.
- Do not store an electric blanket in mothballs.
- Do not connect the power cord to the electric blanket until it is completely dry.
- Do not use clothespins or clips to hang the blanket.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for