Full bird feeders are attractive food sources to squirrels. A squirrel's climbing ability and flexibility allow it to access almost any bird feeder in your yard. To keep squirrels away from the bird seed, create a hot-pepper-based repellent at home. The hot pepper repels squirrels, but does not affect birds.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Pepper sauce, 1 bottle
- 1 gallon water
- 1 tsp dishwashing detergent
- Spray bottle
Pour a small bottle of hot pepper sauce into a gallon jug of plain water. Add 1 tsp of dish-washing detergent.
Place the lid back on the water jug and shake it to incorporate all the ingredients. Fill a spray bottle with the mixture.
Spray the solution onto all surfaces of your bird feeder, including the pole that holds it, the top and outer casing and the perch.
Tips and warnings
- Set up a separate feeder just for the squirrels. Fill it with cracked corn or peanuts.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for