How to Change Your Marital Status

Written by mark fitzpatrick
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
How to Change Your Marital Status
Your marital status comes with legal and financial benefits. (married man image by Georgios Alexandris from

A marital status change may come from a number of occurrences. You may have found your life partner and wish to take his or her name. Another reason may be the sad experience of a divorce or the death of your spouse. From any of these situations, you must embark on the legal process of a marital status change. Without going through the proper legal channels to change your marital status, benefits or fees might be applied to you because of your previous relationship status. For your interests, you need to contact the proper organisations about your marital change.

Skill level:


  1. 1

    Inform your county clerk on your new status. This step is mostly for those who are getting married. People who are married apply for a marriage license that proves that the two people consent to the marriage. Each state varies on their laws concerning marriage licenses. In the event of a divorce or death, you may have to communicate with your local county clerk about your new status before or after contacting government agencies.

  2. 2

    Determine what your new marital status is. The Internal Revenue Service defines five categories of marital status: single, married filing jointly, married filing separately, head of household, and widower with dependent child. The new status must reflect your new living situation.

  3. 3

    Contact the IRS. The IRS will perform two duties concerning your marital status. The first duty is to change your tax code. You will need to refill out a W-4 Form for your place of employment in the tax year you changed your marital status. The second is that the IRS helps network all mail, either addressed to your former self and new status to a different address. The IRS contacts the Post Office concerning that information.

  4. 4

    Contact the Social Security Administration. The Social Security Administration must be notified if you wish to change your name. Social Security will send a new card that contains your new name. The SS-5 form from Social Security should be filled out with all the necessary information about your marital status. Contacting Social Security is also important in the case of a death. Social Security payments may be given to you as the widow.

  5. 5

    Inform insurance organisations. If you are marrying or remarrying, the marital status changes insurance coverage for you and your new spouse. If there is a divorce, then coverage may be ceased. A death may result in life insurance to apply to you if your marital status is maintained.

  6. 6

    Combine or distribute property evenly and legally. In the cases of divorce or a death, your property is distributed on grounds set forth in the divorce hearings or in a will. If you are getting married, combine property, banking, and other capital accounts together under your new name.

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.