Nothing can get your day off to a bad start faster than problems with your espresso machine. Many people purchase pump model home espresso machines because they are supposed to be the easiest to use, so troubleshooting may seem beyond your capabilities. Difficulty with your Krups pump model doesn't mean you have to give up on it. However, there are some easy fixes for many issues. You'll be back to fresh espresso in no time.
Things you need
Make sure the filter holder is correctly positioned. Place the holder flat against the brewing head and then turn in to the right as far as possible. With the Krups machine, it should lock into place when turned.
Clean the gasket and the edges of the filter with a warm, damp cloth to eliminate any coffee grounds and oil.
Tear any excess paper from the edges of the paper pod. Be sure the red marking is face down and all the paper is inside the filter.
Fill the tank with water. Press down firmly to make sure the tank is properly seated.
Clean the filter to make sure it isn't clogged.
Descale the brewing head grid and machine. To descale, remove the brewing grid. Mix a descaling solution and soak the head and grid as directed. Rinse thoroughly.
Grind the beans more finely.
Add more coffee to the filter. Always be sure to use a sufficient amount.
Tamp the coffee more firmly before brewing.
Use a finer grind for the coffee.
Tamp the grounds more firmly before brewing.
Use fresh coffee. Coffee that is stale becomes too dry to create a rich crema.
Tamp the grounds more firmly.
Increase the amount of coffee grounds used.
Use a coarser grind for the beans.
Clean the cappuccino accessory with a damp cloth.
Be sure to use fresh, cold milk in a cold frothing pitcher for the best froth.
Check to see that there is water in the tank.
- Clean the espresso machine after each use. Descale the machine about once a month, depending upon the hardness of your water and how much the machine gets used.
- Descaling solutions contain acid. Use caution and follow the directions carefully when using them. Failing to descale your machine periodically may void your Krups warranty. If your machine needs further repair, find an approved Krups service centre.
Tips and Warnings
- Clean the espresso machine after each use.
- Descale the machine about once a month, depending upon the hardness of your water and how much the machine gets used.
- Descaling solutions contain acid. Use caution and follow the directions carefully when using them.
- Failing to descale your machine periodically may void your Krups warranty.
- If your machine needs further repair, find an approved Krups service centre.
Things you need
- Damp cloth