Adding storage space or garage space for your property can be accomplished by a homeowner with some help from a few friends. Install a prefabricated garage or storage facility that comes as a full kit, complete with instructions on how to assemble the unit on your own. These types of units come in panels and additional pieces that are attached on site, per instructions provided by the manufacturer. Locate this new building on a flat surface of your choice.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Complete prefabricated garage or storage unit, including instructions
- Socket set
- Screw gun
Read the instructions provided by the manufacturer. Unpack the unit, following instructions, in proximity to where the unit will be assembled. Verify that you have all the required pieces and hardware. The side panels and roofing panels should be easy to identify. Locate the individual pieces as they are attached in order.
Set the panels so they are stacked or accessible in the order they are needed. Follow the instructions exactly.
Attach the first two panels per instructions. Inspect to make sure they are attached correctly before proceeding.
Follow the instructions step for step as you assemble the unit. Verify each component is attached correctly and in order before proceeding.
Follow the instructions throughout the process, verifying the unit is sturdy and in order before proceeding. Step away and visually inspect the building as often as needed to make sure it is being assembled correctly.
Complete the assembly and tighten all the connecting hardware as needed. Add the trim and doors as required. Verify all the doors and windows operate properly.
Tips and warnings
- Consult the dealer to find if your particular prefabricated unit needs additional lumber and supplies for any framing to which this unit may need to be attached.
- Look at the picture of the completed unit as you go to make sure nothing looks off.
- Consult local building codes and permit requirements.
- Installing pieces out of order may make it more difficult to assemble the unit.
- Make sure it is supported correctly and attached properly before using the unit.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for