Finding ink on your cashmere sweater, whether it's just a drop or a large smear, will have you writing on the walls. Cashmere, a luxurious fine wool obtained from goats living on mountains in Mongolia, China and India, provides a warmth and softness few other wools can replicate. To prevent damage, the delicate fibres require more care when cleaning than standard wool. Luckily, handwashing cashmere with very mild soap and cold water will usually remove ink stains.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Gentle stain remover
- Hair shampoo
- Absorbent cloths
Wash the sink you plan to use for laundering your cashmere sweater. Use a mild detergent.
Lay the cashmere sweater on a clean, dry surface, with the stain facing up. Wet an absorbent cloth with stain remover and dab it directly onto the ink stain.
Take a fresh cloth, dunk it in cold water and quickly dab off any excess stain remover and ink.
Mix some hair shampoo with cold water in the sink. Place the cashmere sweater into the sink. Gently press and squish the shampoo into the sweater. Avoid twisting or rubbing the sweater.
Drain and clean the sink. Refill it with clean, cold water.
Rinse the cashmere sweater in the clean water by carefully pressing it to expunge the shampoo.
Remove the sweater from the water and carefully squish it to get rid of excess liquid. Never wring the cashmere sweater.
Lay the sweater on a dry towel and arrange into its original shape. Leave it to air dry naturally.
Tips and warnings
- Refrain from rubbing the ink stained area too much as this may damage the cashmere.
- Dipping the ink stain in warm, soapy water will only further set it into the cashmere. Always use cold water.
- If the stain is particularly difficult to remove, it may be worth taking the sweater to a dry cleaner where they can clean it with professional equipment.
- Never wash cashmere clothing and accesories on a standard setting in a home washing machine.
- Do not hang up the garment or tumble-dry as it will stretch the fibres.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for