Some people consider a double chin an undesirable physical trait, so take steps to avoid it forming in the first place. There are several factors that can create a double chin, including weight gain and heredity. If you would like to stop the growth of your double chin, you may be able to do so safely and without cosmetic surgery. By performing some simple facial exercises, many people can firm and tone their chin and neck areas.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Sit upright in a comfortable chair, with your hands placed on your lap. Adjust your lower lip so it is sitting on top of your upper lip. You will need to keep your lips in this position throughout the entire exercise.
Inhale slowly through your nose while you tilt your head backward, until you are looking toward the ceiling. Hold this position for about three seconds. You should feel a stretch in the front of your neck.
Exhale through your nose while you slowly return your head to the starting position. Take several slow, deep breaths after returning to the starting position.
Repeat Steps 1 through 3 three more times. As you begin to feel stronger, slowly add repetitions. Eventually, you should be able to perform 10 to 15 repetitions at a time.
Repeat Steps 1 and 2 of the first exercise. Then exhale through your nose as you lower your head down and toward the right side, as if you are trying to look over your shoulder. Don't allow your shoulders to move while you turn your head.
Inhale and raise your head toward the ceiling again, as directed in Step 2 of the previous exercise. Exhale and turn your head slowly down and toward the left side. Again, make sure your shoulders do not move as you turn your head.
Repeat Steps 1 and 2 of this exercise three more times. Add repetitions as you grow stronger, until you are able to perform 10 to 15 repetitions at a time.
Tips and warnings
- Losing weight may help lessen a double chin. Speak with your doctor about beginning a weight-loss plan.
- Select clothing with V-shaped necklines. This type of neckline can help to visibly lengthen the appearance of your neck.
- Apply make-up that emphasises your eyes. This draws attention to the upper section of your face.
- Earrings that are small and sit close to your ears can help draw attention away from your chin. Long, dangling earrings that come close to the chin area can place emphasis on a double chin.
- Wear long necklaces as opposed to short ones. Long necklaces can visibly lengthen the appearance of your neck.
- Speak with your doctor before beginning to practice these chin exercises, particularly if you have ever suffered from any neck problems.
- You should feel only a gentle stretch while performing chin exercises. Stop immediately if you feel any pain because this could be an indicator that you are harming your neck.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for