Everybody loves a white smile. Unfortunately, everything from food, drinks and simple ageing can cause teeth to yellow over time. Some of the worst culprits for yellowing teeth are smoking, coffee and colas. Since teeth whitening is considered a cosmetic procedure, most dental insurance will not cover the costs. However, you can remove yellow stains at home with a variety of methods.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Pre-brush whitening rinse
- Tartar control whitening toothpaste
- Baking soda
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Fresh strawberry
- At-home whitening kit
Brush your teeth after every meal for two to three minutes with a whitening toothpaste formulated to prevent tartar, as tartar can cause yellowing around the gum line. Floss your teeth once a day to remove debris that will cause cavities and yellowing.
Brush your teeth daily with 2 tsp.of baking soda and rinsing with a 50-50 ratio solution of hydrogen peroxide and water. Alternately, rub your teeth with a fresh strawberry. Strawberries contain malic acid that can remove surface stains. Use this method no more than twice a week.
Purchase an at-home tooth whitening kit. There are many different brands and methods to choose from. At-home whitening kits utilise hydrogen peroxide to bring oxygen to your teeth therefore lightening or bleaching the surface. One of the most popular is thin strips that are applied to the front of your top and bottom teeth for 20 to 30 minutes depending on the manufacturer's instructions. There are also kits with trays that hold the whitening solution as it works to remove stains and lighten teeth.
Tips and warnings
- If you cannot brush your teeth right after eating or drinking, rinse vigorously with water.
- See your dentist regularly for a professional cleaning.
- Maintain your lightened teeth by avoiding food and drinks that will yellow them again.
- Do not use a whitening kit on damaged or injured teeth. See your dentist instead.
- Always follow the manufacturer's instructions when using an at-home whitening kit.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for