Eyeglasses are expensive, yet necessary vision tools for people who wear them. Prices for a complete set of frames and lenses can run hundreds of dollars. Consequently, when a problem with the frames arises, many people prefer to see if they can salvage the glasses, rather than purchase another expensive pair. Repairing the earpiece with glue is a simple method of prolonging the life of a pair of eyeglasses. Be aware that not all damaged earpieces are repairable. An entirely new frame is necessary under some circumstances.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Strong adhesive glue
- Protective goggles (or other eyewear)
- Toothpick (optional)
Inspect the glasses to determine the damage. If the earpiece is intact, but is no longer attached to the frame (or is loose), skip to Section 2. If the earpiece is broken completely (not just cracked) or is missing, continue to Step 2.
Contact a retailer of eyeglasses parts to find a suitable earpiece, also know as eyeglasses temple tips, for the current earpiece for the frame.
Purchase two matching earpieces and replace them both using the procedure below. In the event that the earpiece is damaged and replacement is not possible, try to repair the earpiece using the procedure below as a temporary solution only.
Ensure that affected surfaces on the earpiece and frame are clean and dry. If necessary, wash the earpiece and frame with soap and water and dry thoroughly before starting. Oils or debris from skin can interfere with adhesive bonding.
Place a drop of glue onto the surface of the area where the frame meets the earpiece, and hold in place for a few seconds while it sets. Be sure not to apply too much glue at once. Doing so may cause the glue to run, making it more difficult to control application. As an optional step, use a toothpick to spread the glue evenly before it sets.
Repeat Step 2, in order to apply additional layers of adhesive as needed. If the earpiece is cracked, use the glue and toothpicks to fill the crack and remove excess glue.
Allow bonding to set for at least 30 minutes before attempting to wear the glasses. Using glasses too soon can compromise the adhesive bond.
Tips and warnings
- When gluing the earpiece, it's helpful to have a second person available to help with the process. They can hold the frame and earpiece tightly in place as additional layers of glue are added.
- Always wear goggles or other protective eye equipment when using strong adhesives to prevent injury.
- Be sure the area has adequate ventilation when using strong adhesives.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for