Leather jackets are timeless, classic staples in any closet. Yet, leather is also notoriously difficult to take care of. Unlike everyday clothing, leather jackets require extra care. Mold can become a problem if you haven't worn your leather jacket in a while. Mold and mildew form in moist, dark areas such as a basement or closet. Jackets stored in these moist conditions can accumulate mould, which can ruin expensive leather. To remove mould from your jacket and keep your leather lasting longer, you will need to clean the jacket properly.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Rubber gloves
- Protective face mask
- Scrub brush
- 1 cup rubbing alcohol or white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- Clean cloth
- Mild soap or saddle soap
Hang your leather jacket outside. Removing mould outside prevents mould spores from releasing inside your home. Wear protective gloves and a face mask to avoid touching or inhaling the mould.
Remove the mould from the jacket with the scrub brush.
Mix one cup of rubbing alcohol or white vinegar with one cup of water. Dampen a clean cloth with the mixture. Wring out excess liquid. "Spot test" the mixture in a hidden area of the jacket to make sure the solution won't discolour your leather.
Rub the moistened cloth over mouldy spots. The mixture will kill the bacteria that causes mould to grow. Allow the jacket to air dry completely.
Wash with a mild soap or saddle soap if the mould still remains. Wipe away the suds and allow the jacket to dry in a well-ventilated area.
Tips and warnings
- Clean a mouldy jacket as soon as you discover the problem. Mold is increasingly difficult to clean the longer you leave it.
- Apply a leather conditioner to keep your leather jacket soft and clean, especially during harsh winter months.
- If you decide to dry clean your jacket, make sure the dry cleaners have experience caring for leather garments.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for