Curly or dry hair tangles easily, both after washing and throughout the day. To remove or prevent tangles, you could purchase an over-the-counter detangler. However, if you prefer a natural haircare product, try coconut oil. Coconut oil can be purchased at an organic or health food store in small jars or gallon buckets. The high level of saturated fatty acids make it a natural moisturiser. Use coconut oil after a shower to work through post-washing tangles, or apply to dry hair to fight the effects of a windy day.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Coconut oil
- Microwave-safe plastic bottle with screw-top dropper
- Wide-toothed comb
Transfer coconut oil from the commercial container to the microwave-save plastic bottle. The coconut oil is white and solid, but pliable at room temperature. Push small chunks through the opening of the bottle until the bottle is half full.
Place the plastic bottle in the microwave and warm at 5 second intervals until oil is melted. You do not want to make the oil hot, just warm and liquid.
Use the dropper and apply 1 or 2 drops of coconut oil to the palm of your hand. Depending on the length of your hair and how dry it is, you may require more coconut oil to thoroughly coat your hair. Work with small amounts to avoid over oiling.
Replace the dropper in the bottle and store until needed. The oil in the bottle will return to a solid state and need to be microwaved each time you use it.
Rub the oil over your whole hand. Your body heat will keep the coconut oil liquid on your hands and your hair.
Start at the tips of your hair and work toward the scalp, distributing the coconut oil evenly over your entire head. Alternatively, you can just apply to a badly tangled area for spot control.
Use a wide-toothed comb and begin brushing out your hair at the tips and working toward the scalp. Work in small sections. This will help prevent breakage of the hair shaft.
Style hair as usual. Coconut oil does not burn like other oils, so it is safe to use with heated styling implements.
Tips and warnings
- Place two tablespoons of coconut oil in the plastic bottle and warm in hot tap water for 5 to 10 minutes for a homemade hot oil treatment.
- Purchase a small screw-topped jar and carry the solid coconut oil with you for touch-ups on the go. Just work a small amount between your fingers and allow your body heat to melt the oil.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for