Accidentally exposing your touch screen phone to water may cause you to panic. Cell phones hold a plethora of information, and the thought of losing access to your contacts, messages and media is devastating. Before you decide to toss out a water-damaged phone, you should try to dry out the device. If you act quickly, you may be able to dry out your touch screen phone before the inner workings are damaged.
Things you need
Airtight plastic bag or container with lid
Uncooked rice or Silica gel packs
Remove the battery from the back of your touch screen phone.
Shake the phone excessively to remove any water that may be trapped inside the device. Dry any visible water from the device with a towel.
Fill a plastic bag or bowl with uncooked rice or silica gel packs. Submerge your touch screen phone in the bag. Make sure the rice or silica gel packs are covering every edge of your phone.
Seal the plastic bag or cover the bowl and allow the phone to sit undisturbed for 24 to 48 hours.
Remove your phone from the plastic bag or bowl and shake the device gently to free any trapped rice particles.
Reinsert your cell phone battery and turn on the device.
Navigate through the applications on your touch screen phone to test whether the device is working properly.
- Do not use heat from a device such as a blow dryer or microwave to dry out your phone. It may cause your device to short-circuit. Do not try to power on a water-damaged phone until it has been completely dried.
Tips and Warnings
- Do not use heat from a device such as a blow dryer or microwave to dry out your phone. It may cause your device to short-circuit.
- Do not try to power on a water-damaged phone until it has been completely dried.
Things you need
- Airtight plastic bag or container with lid
- Uncooked rice or Silica gel packs