Changing Passport Information

Updated April 17, 2017

Passports are legal travel documents that are required by all countries for international travel. If you are travelling with your family, every member of your family must have a passport, even children. If you are in a foreign country, you can make changes or renew your passport at the American Embassy. In the United States, the issuing and modifying of passports is handled by the Passport Agency at the Department of State. You can request to change or correct information on your passport in the case that either you have legally changed your name, your passport has a spelling error, your passport has an incorrect birth date or you need additional visa pages.

If the passport you are correcting was issued more than 90 days ago, you will need two new passport photos. Go to your local photo lab and get your passport photos taken. Photo labs normally use a special camera that specifically fits the Passport Agency's guidelines for passport photos.

Compile the information you need to change and corresponding documents. If your birth date is incorrect, you will need to send in proof of your actual birth date with your request form. If you have changed your name, you will need supporting documents, such as a marriage certificate, to prove that the change is truly legal. If your passport has a spelling error, you will need to send in a copy of an ID with your correct name. Make a list of what information is wrong and put together a folder with all of the paperwork you will need before filling out any forms.

Go to the Department of State's travel site and go to the "Passport" section. Click on "Change or Correct" a passport, located on the left-hand menu. Here you will find a list of the situations that are applicable for changes and corrections. Each situation, for example "Name Change," provides a link to download the appropriate form, a list of the required documents and the corresponding agency address to send the form by mail.

Find the situation that applies to your passport and click the link to download a PDF version of the correct form. Print the form using black ink and one page side; applications with double-sided forms are not accepted.

Fill out the form with the correct information using a black pen and legible handwriting. It is best to use block lettering since illegible handwriting tends to result in a rejected application. Sign and date the application and put it in a standard envelope with the required documents. This will probably include your current passport, the two new photos, and proof of information such as birth and marriage certificates.

Send you application via mail to the address provided with the form. The Passport Agency strongly recommends mailing your documents with a traceable delivery method to ensure they do not get lost.


You can expedite your passport application by including a £39 check and clearly marking "Expedite" on the exterior of the envelope.

Things You'll Need

  • Printer
  • Scanner
  • Two passport photos
  • Envelope and stamps
Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author

Sophie Southern has been a freelance writer since 2004. Her writing has been featured in "JPG" magazine and on Southern holds a Bachelor of Fine Arts in photography from the School of Visual Arts.