Your HP inkjet or laser printer includes the "Toolbox" software, which monitors the printer's ink or toner levels and offers troubleshooting for printing problems. The Toolbox software automatically creates pop-up alerts from the system tray when it detects issues such as the printer running out of paper. You don't have to keep these alerts active however if you don't want them cluttering your screen. The Toolbox software gives you the option to turn off all the status and alert pop-ups.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Navigate to the "All Programs" folder in the "Start" menu and select "HP." Click the "HP Toolbox" icon. If the Toolbox is currently running, instead double-click the Toolbox icon in the task bar at the lower-right end of the screen.
Navigate to the Toolbox tab labelled "Alerts." Scroll down to the heading labelled "Alerts will be sent while printing from this computer."
Remove the check mark from the box corresponding to the type of alert you need to remove. For example, click the check box labelled "Printer cannot print (paper out)" if you want to prevent the Toolbox from creating a pop-up alert when the printer is out of paper.
Select the radio button labelled "Turn off alerts" if you want to remove all Toolbox alerts. Close the Toolbox window.
Tips and warnings
- The Toolbox software is included on the installation disc that came with your HP printer. If you no longer have the disc, HP offers a free download of the toolbox software through their support website. Navigate to the website and type the model number of your printer. Click the "Software and Driver Downloads" link and select the option for the HP software.
- The Toolbox software also includes options for troubleshooting problems with your HP printer. Navigate to the "Troubleshooting" tab and click "General Troubleshooting" to see a list of troubleshooting steps. The tab also includes the "Calibrate Now" and "Print Cleaning Page" options to automatically fix common problems.
- With some HP printer models, the "Toolbox" software will instead be labelled as "HP Director" in the "All Programs" folder.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for