Because they are the cardstock equivalent of a blank canvas, large poster board pieces are perfect for decorating, then hanging on a wall for display. Their durability makes them perfect for use as backing for flimsier pieces of paper, such as posters, maps and collages. Unfortunately, most large poster boards do not come with a hanging mechanism or loop pre-attached. If you would like to hang your large poster board on the wall, you'll need to add some easy-to-find pieces of hardware and a few other household items to make it suitable for hanging.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Thumbtacks (optional)
- Plastic foam board hangers with tape adhesive backing
Weigh the poster board until it lays flat. Unroll the poster board on the floor. Place various paper weights, heavy books or other heavy items around the perimeter of the poster board. Ensure that you weigh down all the corners and the middle of the board. Leave it for at least 24 to 48 hours, until removing the weights does not cause the board to re-curl.
Attach the plastic foam board mounts. These can be purchased at most craft supply and office supply stores. Turn the poster board over so that it lays face down on the floor. Mark where you want to place the foam board mounts on the back upper edge of the poster board. Remove the protective film on the mount adhesives, and attach the mounts to the back of the poster board. A very large poster board can be heavy, so make sure that you add enough mounts to support the full weight of the board.
Allow the adhesive to cure for at least 24 hours.
Hang the poster board. Hold the poster board up to the wall where you wish to hang it, and mark the holes in the mounts with a pencil against the wall. Hammer in nails or insert thumbtacks into the marks on the wall. Place these through the holes of the mounts on the poster board, ensuring that it hangs evenly. Your poster board should hang well until you are ready to take it down.
Tips and warnings
- If the corners of your poster board start to curl when you hang it up, take it back down, re-add the weights on the floor, and wait another day or two for the board to uncurl.
- Ensure that the board's weight is evenly distributed among the wall mounts, as the adhesive can cause the paper to tear under too much weight.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for