The iPad is more akin to an iPod touch than an iPhone because there is no cellular technology inside that can initiate or receive a telephone call using a cellular connection. To run the iPad into a phone that can make and receive calls, download and install the Skype telephone app or Apple's very own Facetime. The Skype app will enable the iPad to make phone calls to anyone in the same manner as would be the case if the iPad had the cellular technology built in. A headphone with a built-in microphone is needed in order to more readily hear and speak when using the iPad as a phone.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Wireless home network
Click the "Sleep/Wake" button at the upper right corner of the iPad. Swipe the slider on the screen to the right to go to the Home screen.
Tap the "App Store" icon. Enter "Skype" in the "Search" text field at the top right of the screen. Tap "Skype" from the list of choices presented beneath the "Search" text field.
Tap the "Free App" button on the screen that appears. Enter your Apple/iTunes password into the text field on the pop-up window that appears using the onscreen keyboard. Tap the "OK" button to initiate the download. Wait as an icon of Skype appears on the Home screen.
Tap the icon of Skype to launch it. Tap the "Add Contacts" button on the screen. Enter the name and e-mail address of a person that you want to call. Tap the "Save" button.
Tap the "Contacts" tab on the screen. Tap the person you want to call from the list. Tap the "Call" button. Insert the headphone plug into the headphone jack at the upper left corner of the iPad. Put on the headphones. Talk to the person when he answers using the microphone built into the headphones.
Tips and warnings
- You can call people on their landline phones who don't have Skype by buying phone call service time from the Skype company.
- Instead of using Skype, the latest ipad comes with Facetime already installed. This will allow you to contact fellow Apple users with a platform almost identical to Skype. However if you want to contact people without an iphone or ipad then you should use Skype.
- The "Skype" app is optimised for the iPhone and so will appear smaller on the iPad than an app that has been optimised for the iPad.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for