How to find my utility provider

Updated July 20, 2017

Utilities are the basic services needed to run a household. They usually include water, sewer, trash and electrical services. Whether you're moving into a newly built or an existing building, utilities are the first thing you need to deal with.

Find out what services you need. If you're renting, some utilities may be included as part of your rent, so you should ask your landlord before move-in and examine your lease. If you're a homeowner, you'll likely be responsible for all utilities yourself.

Get on the Internet. Before you move to a new residence, go on the city's official Website and look for any utilities information. The Website may provide you with all the information you need about providers, including the opportunity to turn on services online.

Contact the authorities. If you're a renter, the landlord should be able to direct you to your utility providers. If you're a homeowner or new in town, however, the first step is to contact your city. Often, cities provide municipal water, sewer and electric services. Ask the city to mail you a list of utility providers for your area.

Compare costs. Some cities provide more than one energy provider or a variety of trash removal services. Determine what is best for your needs and call the providers themselves to discuss costs.


Some utilities may be affected by whether you live within the city limits. Make sure you provide correct address information when calling your city or potential providers.


Never try to turn on utilities yourself. Work on electrical or water systems should only be handled by licensed professionals.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author

Frances Todd has been a writer since 1998. Her works have appeared in "Women's World" and online at WebMD. She has written online instructional articles since 2008. Todd has a Bachelor of Arts and a Master of Science in history, both from the University of Iowa, and currently works in criminal law.