Both tab-top and grommet curtains can be hung from pegs or knobs instead of curtain rods. This is a casual look that is appropriate for dens or kitchens. It is best used for curtains which usually remain in one position, as it is difficult to open or close these curtains without a ladder. Cabinet knobs with a stem are the easiest type of knobs to install in this situation, but doorknobs can also be used.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Grommet top curtains, full length
- Tape measure
- Cabinet knobs
- Screw anchors
Measure the distance from the top of the grommet hole to the bottom of the drapes. Grommet top curtains should be at least 72 inches long.
Measure this distance from the floor to above the top of the window. Mark the distance above the window with a faint pencil line. This will ensure that the hem of your curtains just brushes the floor.
Measure the distance from the centre of one grommet to the centre of the next grommet.
Mark these distances along your pencil line from one side of the window to the other. These mark the positions of your knobs. Start in the centre of the window and measure out to each side, so that the placement of the knobs will be even. Extend the marks beyond the sides of the window as far as you want the curtains to extend.
Measure the thickness of the stem on the knobs. Divide this number in half. Make a mark this distance below each knob mark. This is to ensure that the top of the knob stem, where the top of the grommet will rest, will be at the correct height.
Drill a hole centred on this mark and install a screw anchor. Repeat this for all of the remaining marks.
Screw your cabinet knobs into the screw anchors.
Hang the curtains on the knobs. Move the curtains along the row of knobs when you wish to cover or uncover the window.
Tips and warnings
- You may also hang tab-top curtains this way. If using tab-top curtains, you may place the knobs closer together and allow the fabric to drape down between the tabs.
- If your tab-top curtains are less than 48 inches, measure the length of the curtain from the bottom of the window moulding to above the window when marking your placement line.
- If you wish to use knobs without a stem, such as spherical knobs, create a stem by placing a wooden spool behind the stem.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for