BMW designed the K1200 for long-distance cruising and many riders quickly rack up the mileage going on road trips. Changing the oil on your K1200 motorcycle is important in prolonging the engine life and keeping it cleanly lubricated. Doing so at regular intervals of 3,000 to 5,000 miles will ensure your engine keeps running smoothly. The procedure is straightforward, requiring just a few tools and about a half hour of your time. If you have a 2002 or newer K1200, you will need a Torx wrench set, however, if yours is a pre-2000 model, you will need a hex wrench set instead.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Oil drain pan
- Four qts. of oil
- Hex wrench set
- T25 Torx wrench (for year 2002 models)
Warm up the motorcycle's engine for a few minutes and then put it on the centre stand.
Remove the lower plastic cowling by pulling it straight down.
Screw out the oil filler cap located on the right-hand side of the motorcycle.
Position the oil drain pan under the motorcycle's oil drain hole.
Unscrew the drain plug screw by using an 8mm hex wrench.
Replace the drain plug screw once the oil has finished draining out. Be careful not to over-tighten the drain plug screw.
Pour the fresh oil into the engine using approximately 3.5 qts. Keep an eye on the oil-viewing window to ensure that the oil level does not exceed the marking on the window's centre.
Tips and warnings
- The washer that accompanies the drain plug screw may become worn and degraded over time. It is usually prudent to replace this washer when you change your oil as a precautionary measure.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for