Having a Volkswagen camper van is lucky indeed. These recreational vehicles have been on the market for a long time, and while you may be fortunate enough to have found one with a solid frame and engine, the interior often looks a bit worse for wear.
Volkswagen campers often have one or two bench seats in the camper portion of the vehicle. Depending upon your model, the shape may vary slightly. With a bit of research, you can find a professional or do-it-yourself solution for reupholstering your Volkswagen camper van seat.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Upholstery fabric
- Upholstery stapler
- Ratchet set or wrench
Remove the seat from your camper. There are bolts fastening the seat to the camper. Once you have the seat out in the open, it is much easier to work with.
Remove the old seat cover. Keep as much of the fabric intact as possible, because you can use the old pieces as a pattern for buying and cutting your new fabric. Depending on your model, this might include unbolting the seat from the van or the seat back from the bottom. Take note of how it was originally attached.
Choose and buy your new fabric. Keep durability, pattern and colour in mind. Use your old seat covers to see how much new fabric you need. Get a few extra yards, since it's much better to have too much than too little.
Cut out your new pieces based on your old upholstery. Compare every new piece with its corresponding old piece to make sure you have it right before trying to attach it to the seat.
Attach your new pieces to the seat exactly how the old ones were attached. This is often done simply with upholstery staples.
Reinstall the seat into the camper van. Place it where it was before, and bolt it in tightly. If there are seat belts, be careful not to get them stuck under the seat after you have bolted it.
Tips and warnings
- If you can afford to get your VW camper van reupholstered professionally, go ahead and do that. There are several businesses that specialise in Volkswagens that have many years of experience.
- Use the time that you have the fabric off of the seat frame to do any cleaning and upgrading that may have to be done beneath the surface of the fabric.
- There are many websites that offer Volkswagen seat and interior accessories to make your reupholster job easier.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for