Lime scale is caused by deposits in your tap water. Some areas of the U.S. have soft water, meaning that the water contains very few deposits, while others have hard water, which contains a high proportion of deposits. The more deposits in your water, the quicker lime scale will develop in your appliances. This can affect the taste and quality of your beverage, so it is worth cleaning and deliming your coffee maker regularly.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Deliming tool
- Lime scale remover
- Hot water
Use a deliming tool. These tools consist of a spring wrapped around a metal rod. Some coffee machine manufacturers will supply these with the machine, but you can also purchase them online. This will help remove lime scale from the water-delivery tube and ensure that your machine gets a thorough cleaning.
Use lime scale remover. Many commercial lime scale removers contain chemicals that will dissolve the lime scale stuck to the inside of your coffee maker. However, you need to ensure that you run enough water through the coffee make afterwards to ensure that you remove the chemicals, otherwise you risk contaminating your coffee. Lime scale removers come in powder or spray form.
Mix vinegar and water. Vinegar is very acidic and therefore effective at removing lime scale and other build-up. However, it does not contain the chemicals that other commercial cleaners might, and the only side effect you can get from ingesting it is a bad taste. Use half a cup of white vinegar and half a cup of warm water. Run the mixture through your coffee machine several times to remove the lime scale deposits. After, run warm water through the machine several times to remove the vinegar.
Tips and warnings
- If your coffee maker has a large lime scale build-up, you might want to consider cleaning it more regularly. Running vinegar or lime scale remover through the machine once every two weeks or every month will help prevent this problem in the future.
- Always turn off and unplug your coffee maker before deliming. You also need to allow it to cool down before cleaning it.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for