Donating your unwanted furniture items to charity can be very rewarding. According to Charity Guide, donating unwanted furniture helps both needy individuals and the environment, as it keeps the furniture out of landfills. Learning how to donate a bed to charity is one way to bring joy and happiness to a needy person.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 2 rags
Locate a charity organisation in your area that readily accepts furniture donations. You can find a charity organisation in your area by visiting the Charity Navigator website and conducting a quick or advanced search.
Clean the bed. Wipe the bed down with a damp rag to remove all dust or stains found on the frame. Scrub the rag hard over any stained areas. Re-wipe the bed with a dry cloth to ensure that no moisture is left on the bed frame.
Disassemble the bed frame, if possible. Disassembling the bed frame will ease the burden of moving and transporting the bed to the charity. Remove the mattress and box spring and set them aside. Unscrew or unclasp the footer and header from the frame. Place the bed in your vehicle or in an area where the charity organisation's pickup crew will have easy access to it.
Deliver the bed to the charity organisation's official address or have the charity organisation pick up your donation. According to Donation Town, many charity organisations will send a truck to your home and pick up your donations free of charge.
Tips and warnings
- You can get a tax deduction for donating your bed to charity, so be sure to get a receipt to document your donation.
- If you're delivering the bed to the charity organisation's official address, ask for assistance in loading the bed into your vehicle so you don't strain your back or injure yourself.
- If you don't have the proper transportation means to deliver the bed to the charity and the organisation can't afford to pick up the bed, ask your friends, family members or neighbours for assistance.
- Avoid donating a damaged or spoiled bed, as many charity organisations will not accept furniture in such a condition.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for