Plastic drain boards provide a durable place to air dry hand-washed dishes. Unfortunately, they can also become a haven for collecting germs and bacteria from standing water, especially in the utensil compartment where water drainage is not as effective. It is important to regularly clean your plastic drain board to keep from transferring those germs and bacteria to your freshly washed dishes.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Kitchen sink plug
- 1 cup household bleach
- Old toothbrush
- Safety glasses
- Rubber gloves
Plug kitchen sink with a drain stopper and fill your kitchen sink with hot water.
Pour 1 cup of household bleach into the sink filled with water.
Place the drain board carefully into the hot bleach water, being careful to not splash the water on your skin or clothes, or in your eyes. Submerge the drain board completely in the hot bleach water.
Weigh down the plastic drain board with a small stack of plates if the drain board wants to float to the top.
Soak the plastic drain board for at least an hour, or overnight.
Drain the bleach water from the sink carefully.
Use an old toothbrush or sponge to clean off any stubborn dirt that remains.
Rinse thoroughly and wipe dry.
Tips and warnings
- This method can also be used to clean plastic coated metal drain boards.
- When using bleach, it is important to wear personal protective equipment, such as rubber gloves and safety glasses.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for