A fresh mushroom can add texture and flavour to your cooked dish or salad. It is important to recognise the signs of a fresh mushroom from one that has spoiled- especially when you cook a dish that contains mushrooms. Whether mushrooms remain wrapped in the container they came in, or are left open in the refrigerator, they can go bad. Check the ripeness of your mushrooms before your use them to cook your meal.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Examine your mushrooms. Look for slime or bruised spots on the mushrooms. Discard them if there are any.
Hold the mushrooms to your nose. Smell them for an earthy aroma. Throw them away if they smell rancid.
Touch the mushrooms with your fingers. Feel their texture and discard mushrooms that are mushy or soft to the touch.
Look at the size of the mushroom. Identify mushrooms that are shrivelled or withered. Discard them as unusable.
Tips and warnings
- Do not eat mushrooms that are not fresh. If in doubt, throw it out.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for