Your Compaq NC6120 laptop includes a feature called "hibernate," which lets you conserve battery power but keep the operating system running without powering off the computer. Normally, the desktop display should return to the screen by tapping a key or tapping the touch pad, but in some instances the laptop may not resume normally. Depending on the cause, the resolution consists of manually powering off the laptop or installing the latest Windows service pack.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Unplug the Compaq's power cable. Hold down the laptop's power button until the operating system completely shuts off.
Tap the power button again to restart the laptop. Click the "Start" button and navigate to "Shut Down." Click "Hibernate." Wait for the laptop to enter hibernate mode and tap a keyboard key to see if the operating system resumes normally.
Restart the laptop again if the problem persists. Open the "Start" menu and click "All Programs" and "Windows Update."
Click the "Check for Updates" link at the left end of the update window. Select "View Available Updates." Select the check box next to each available update and ensure the "Service Pack" update is selected.
Follow the update directions on the screen to install the latest Windows updates. Open the "Start" menu and choose "Restart." Set the laptop to hibernate mode again.
Tips and warnings
- Tapping the "Fn" and "F4" keys at the same time will also manually turn off the hibernate option and resume the Compaq NC6120's operating system.
- If you don't want to wipe out all data by performing a system recovery, open the "Start" menu and type "backup" in the "Search" box. Click the "Backup and Recovery Center" and click "Restore Files." Choose the restore point you want to use and follow the directions on the screen.
- If installing the service pack update doesn't resolve the problem, you may need to reinstall the Compaq's operating system. Open the "Start" menu and navigate to "All Programs" and "Recovery Manager." Click the "Recover My Computer" option and follow the directions on the screen to reinstall the operating system. Recovering your Compaq back to the original settings will resolve the problem, but will also wipe out any of your existing data.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for