Traditional flat breads come in many varieties, but most of the crispy ones are more like crackers than bread. There are many things you can add to a crispy flat bread recipe to personalize it to your liking if you know a basic flat bread recipe first. Making a simple flat bread requires few ingredients or equipment and can be done with only a basic knowledge of cooking. The best part about this basic flat bread recipe is that you can add your own spices, herbs and toppings for a personal touch.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup water
- Olive oil
- Pastry brush
- Parchment paper
Preheat your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Set your oven racks so that one is in the middle of the oven.
Mix the flour, salt and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Add any dry personal taste ingredients such as rosemary, sesame seeds, thyme, chives or garlic. Add water and mix until a thick dough forms.
Separate the dough into two or three pieces. Roll out the pieces thinly with a rolling pin on a piece of parchment paper. Brush the top of the dough pieces with olive oil and top with your favorite ingredients.
Place the parchment paper with the dough onto a baking sheet. Put the baking sheet into the oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the edges of the flat bread are golden brown. Remove the bread from the oven and cool on a bakers rack. The bread can be stored for three to four days if covered.
Tips and warnings
- Try coating your flat bread with an egg wash and then adding fresh veggies like tomatoes and peppers before baking.
- Make a flat bread pizza with your leftover flat bread by adding pizza sauce, your favorite ingredients and cheese. Bake until the cheese is melted, then serve.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for