Clear silicone has several uses, including silicone caulk that is used to seal and protect sinks, bathtubs and the areas around them from moisture damage. After years of exposure to water and humidity, clear silicone can begin to yellow and blacken. This discolouration is caused by exposure to rust and the formation of mould. Removing the yellow from clear silicone can be accomplished at home without the need for expensive cleaning products.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Plastic scrub brushes
- Liquid dish soap
- Soft towel
- Paper towel
- Plastic spray bottle
- Rubber gloves
Dip a plastic scrub brush into soapy water.
Scrub the silicone with the soapy water. Dry the area with a soft towel.
Cover any areas around the clear silicone, such as flooring or a bathtub, with paper towel. This will help protect these areas from the cleaners used to remove the yellow stains.
Fill a plastic spray bottle with bleach.
Spray the clear silicone with the bleach. Allow the bleach to sit for 15-20 minutes. This will cause a whitening of the yellowed silicone and will kill any mould or mildew that may have formed.
Wearing rubber gloves, scrub the clear silicone with a plastic scrub brush.
Rinse the bleached area well with cool water. Wipe the area with a soft towel to help remove any residue that may have formed from the cleaning products.
Tips and warnings
- Avoid yellowing by allowing air movement around the clear silicone. In a bathroom, this means opening a window or turning on a fan during the shower.
- Wipe up any water that comes in contact with the clear silicone immediately. This will help prevent the yellowing from occurring.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for